Saturday, May 1, 2010

Not bragging... Just sharing!!!





The 5th grade Regional Math Tournament took place yesterday and my 10 year old was a participant, as well as the chosen designer for the t-shirts for the competition. Each competitor had to come up with a design for their school team and it had to combine the subjects of "Literature and Math".
If you've been around my son for a while you may know that there are two things that from a very early age have been most important in his life; food and books. And as you can see his design captures his entire person. (I love that kid)
Anyway, as the time for the event approached I saw in my Josh's face that overwhelmed look that I used to get as a little girl when a million feelings got a hold of me. So with a "quick" (I might say lightening speed) hug he left to be with the other kids.
The way the tournament was set up was new for me. (there were 120 participants) They were taken away to a classroom where they took an individual written math test, then they took them out to the auditorium where all the parents and teachers were, split each school into teams of two and started an open competition with a huge wall projector and a big timer. The principal read the question out loud and the kids had to write their answer on a paper which was taken immediately by a teacher. The points they got were for speed and accuracy. It was nerve racking, but I loved every minute of it because each time the principal read the name of Josh's school with the answer and the "it is correct" or "it is not correct" Josh waited for the answer, then looked across the room to give me a smile or a thumbs up. It made me want to freeze time. I love being his mommy.
At the end of the day his team got two awards, the school won two awards as well, and Josh got 1st place out of all 120 students in the individual category.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, Josh! Love the t-shirt design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing. That t-shirt is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of Jr, tell him please! Love the T-shirt! Can't wait to see you all. xoxo

    ReplyDelete